Spouse / Settlement and British Citizen Applications

Applying for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK can be a complicated process.

Settled means, you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions and there are various applications that can be made, such as:

  • Family member of a British citizen
  • Family member of a settled person
  • Tier 1 and Tier 2 applicants
  • UK Ancestry
  • Following a period of Discretionary Leave
  • Long residence
  • 10-Year Private Life route
  • Settled in the UK before

The final stage in the UK Immigration process is to become a British Citizen.

This can be done through the processes of naturalisation or registration.

The Home Office will carefully consider the time you have spent in the UK, your character and conduct, your knowledge of English and life in the UK and whether you are free from immigration restrictions.

Children who are born in the UK are not automatically British. In some circumstances, the law allows children to register as British before they turn 18. Other children can make an application to register as British outside of the legal requirements, if the Home Office considers that their future is in the UK.

We are also able to advise on challenges to refusals of naturalisation and registration applications. A refusal of a naturalisation or registration application does not bring a right of appeal. The Home Office must provide reasons for their decision if they chose to refuse. If you do not agree with the reasons or if you believe that the Home Office have not properly assessed your application Judicial Review is the next step.