Visiting or Studying in the UK

If you would like to visit the UK from outside the EU, you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa. This applies if you wish to visit the UK for a holiday or to see your family and friends; for business, or to take part in sports or creative events; and for another reason, such as private medical treatment.

Standard visit visas can also be used if you want to visit the UK for business-related activities, e.g.:

  • You are coming to the UK for a conference, meeting or training
  • You want to take part in a specific sports-related event
  • You are an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform
  • You are an academic and are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme
  • You are a doctor or dentist and are coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post
  • You want to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • You want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK
Long-term visit visas

If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

At BMS we can provide you with further information as to whether your intended activity is permitted under this category as well as guidance on the application process and related costs.

Studying in the UK

Looking to study in the UK, BMS Solicitors can guide you through the process. We deal with all aspects of the requirements for students and can help you successfully apply to study in the UK.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa for students who are 16 or over to qualify, you require the following:

An offer of a place in a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor

The ability to speak, read, write and understand English up to a certain level

Enough money to pay for your studies and support yourself

Meet the other eligibility requirements

Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa

This category applies to children aged between 4 and 17 years old. To qualify for this type of visa, your child must have a place at a school with a Tier 4 sponsor licence and you must have enough money to cover the cost of studying and living in the UK.

Short-term Study Visa

If you intend to undertake a short-term study, such as an English language course or a training course then you may be looking at applying under this category. The length of the visa depends on the course, e.g. you may be allowed to stay for 11 months if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course.